Calvary is seeking a qualified, enthusiastic, well-organized candidate to fill the role of our office administrator. Applications may be submitted to email@example.com A full position description is below.
Position Description for Office Administrator
Calvary Evangelical Lutheran Church (Calvary) is a Christian church located in Silver Spring, Maryland, with a small / medium size active and diverse congregation.
Calvary is seeking a competent Office Administrator who will be responsible for managing day-to-day operations of the church. The Office Administrator is a visible representative of the church, answering phones, receiving guests, and interacting with church members and the community. The Office Administrator also takes a lead role in preparing and producing the weekly worship bulletin and other document needs for the church. Additional duties include maintaining the church calendar of events, organizing church records and personnel files, ordering and stocking office supplies, keeping computer files backed up and maintaining office equipment.
- A minimum of five-years experience as an office administrator or program administrator, with experience in a church office preferred; highly proficient with technology including word processing fluency, web-based calendar management, church database software competence, social media and website management competence (or willingness to learn), and strong organizational skills when managing files and records for short-term and long-term access.
- Two-year degree in business administration, with a bachelor’s degree preferred.
- A Lutheran background a bonus, active membership at Calvary or another Christian church is expected.
The Office Administrator is directly accountable to the pastor for work direction and indirectly accountable to the church Board of Directors.
The Office Administrator position is a three – quarter to full time position (negotiable). Due to the nature of the work, this is an “on-site” position and does not allow for work-from-home or telecommuting.
Salary and Benefits
Compensation is made in accordance with pay scales approved by the congregation. The Board of Directors reviews the budget annually, adjusting salaries, and making recommendations to the Voters Assembly of the congregation. Health insurance, paid time off, and retirement benefits are included with this position.
- Office Management
The Office Administrator is the most visible representative of the church during the week, answering phones, receiving packages, and welcoming guests at the front door. Office responsibilities include managing the church calendar, working with various users of the building to ensure efficient and responsible use of the space, maintaining church records, ordering and stocking office supplies, and generally keeping an orderly and efficient office space.
- Communication Responsibilities
The Office Administrator will take a lead communication role for the church, interacting with church members, friends of the church, and the community through various means. The Office Administrator regularly coordinates with the Pastor, Business Manager, Music Minister, Organist / Pianist, Kitchen Manager, as well as church volunteers, committee members, wedding and funeral coordinators and other staff members, working to ensure good communication between and within all groups. Additional communication responsibilities include assisting with the publication of the church newsletter, posting news and information to electronic media including the church website and Facebook page, writing and sending letters on behalf of the congregation, and working to effectively communicate the activities and special events of the congregation through various means.
- Financial Responsibilities
The Office Administrator will work closely with the church Business Manager, Pastor, and other staff to ensure the church properly uses funds and meets financial obligations. The Administrator will work with volunteers to make sure the weekly offering is tallied and deposited, as well as providing offering envelopes to the congregation along with explaining the various means of making donations to the church. The Administrator will work with the Business Manager to ensure outgoing checks are signed and distributed as needed, and that bills are paid in a timely fashion.
- Manage Church Facilities
Property management duties include overseeing the maintenance and security operations of church facility and maintaining an inventory of supplies and equipment. Additional responsibilities include scheduling meetings and events, managing agreements for use of church space, and enforcing church policies for facility use. The Office Administrator will also maintain a listing of maintenance companies who can be called to make repairs as needed. Construction on site is expected in 2019 and the Office Administrator will assist in coordinating and scheduling events and meetings related to construction.
- Maintain Relationships
The Administrator is expected to maintain good communication channels with church members and staff, not taking sides, but working to promote a spirit of unity and mutual understanding. The Office Administrator regularly coordinates with the Pastor, Business Manager, Music Minister, Organist / Pianist, Kitchen Manager, as well as church volunteers, committee members, wedding and funeral coordinators and other staff members.
- Other Qualifications
- A lifestyle that demonstrates a personal and dynamic relationship with Christ, with personal prayer, and regular attendance in worship and participation in congregational activities.
- Shows a love for other people and desire to resolve conflicts quickly should they arise.
- Communicates well with others, listens carefully, and expresses a desire to learn from those with differing viewpoints or life experiences.
- Makes decisions which are indicative of good judgement.
- Demonstrates a desire to care for others and is sensitive to the needs of other people.
- Presents a professional appearance, is punctual, and enthusiastic for furthering and strengthening the ongoing work of the church.
Resumes may be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org